I love art galleries, especially paintings. The pronoun has no antecedent. I asked to speak to Maribel’s father, but she would not talk to me. Reflexive pronouns: Reflexive pronouns point back to a noun or pronoun and indicate the sentence subject receives the action of the verb. Each has a funny or ironic statement (akin to “Let’s eat Grandma) to teach the memorable rule. Revise by adding a noun following the pronoun. The pronoun reference is faulty here because the pronoun it has two antecedents. For more essay rules and practice, check out the author’s TEACHING ESSAYS BUNDLE. Differentiated Spelling Instruction (the Canadian English Version). Re-write these sentences and [bracket] the vague pronouns and antecedents. The only antecedent for the personal pronoun 'they' and the possessive adjective 'their' is the noun 'Patterns'. Should Grades 4-8 Teachers Teach Spelling? “But it’s hard to punish vague pronoun references.”. The pronoun it does not have a clear noun antecedent. I asked to speak to [Maribel’s father], but [she] would not talk to me. These seems to be from the Italian artists. Revise by adding the antecedent. Keep pronoun references close to their antecedents to avoid confusion. A vague pronoun reference might include words such as it, that, this, and which, and can leave the reader wondering what or to whom the pronoun refers. Vague pronouns usually consist of four types: Pronouns must clearly identify their antecedents. (1 point) too many antecedents O no antecedents too many pronouns G O hidden antecedents See answer kw0030132 is waiting for your help. Distance Learning Vocabulary Programs | Virtual Learning, Distance Learning for Parents | Virtual Learning Advice, Spelling Programs for Distance (Virtual) Learning. His math teachers taught him, but he didn’t use it in his job. the teacher asked. Keep pronoun references close to subjects in long sentences to make them clear. All rights reserved. Revise by changing the pronoun reference from an adjective to a noun. An antecedent is the noun or pronoun that the pronoun refers to or re-names. b) Supply a specific antecedent for the pronoun. “They didn’t take the donuts,” Rhett told his teacher. The antecedent is an adjective. Add your answer and earn points. You should punish them.”, “That’s horrible,” the teacher responded. A vague pronoun does not clearly identify its antecedent. Copyright © 2009-2020 Pennington Publishing. Example: That is beautiful. Nancy found a watch in the drawer but it didn't work. “To whom are you referring? Revise the vague pronoun to clearly identify its antecedent. That painting is beautiful. Demonstrative pronouns (this, that, these, or those) are used on their own. Improve your language arts knowledge with free questions in "Identify vague pronoun references" and thousands of other language arts skills. I love art [galleries], especially paintings. The [books] were already on the students’ [desks], but we didn’t need [them]. Please get your [paper] out of your [backpack] and pass [it] forward. As a result, the reader cannot know for sure whether Kara sold the disk or the cabinet. Example: Vague: The profits from the investment would be large, which I realized almost immediately. His [math teachers] taught him, but he didn’t use [it] in his job. “Those kids who make us get into trouble with their friends like they do all the time. Differentiate your essay instruction in this comprehensive writing curriculum with remedial writing worksheets, including sentence structure, grammar, thesis statements, errors in reasoning, and transitions.Plus, get an e-comment bank of 438 prescriptive writing responses with an link to insert into Microsoft Word® for easy e-grading (works great with Google Docs),Download the following 24 FREE Writing Style Posters to help your students learn the essay rules. Revise by changing the pronoun reference from an adjective to a noun. A pronoun is a part of speech that can replace a noun; its antecedent is the person, place, or thing to which the pronoun refers.