Am I completely wrong, is it some other species, or is it a TUTI with its own local “Quebecois” accent? If you have a piano or guitar handy, it was E, C#, D. Very pretty. Incidentally, I clicked your posting, and discovered your fine webpage and recordings. Tufted titmouse Sounds (Call or Song) The tufted titmouse sound is usually described as a whistled peter-peter-peter. The three D’s seemed ever so slightly slower, so it was just a little mournful… Possibly a Titmouse again? He sang his heart out all spring. I have a recording at: http://hylatunes.daslied.com/recordings/titmouse-maybe-maynard-21-apr-2012.mp3. Well, new to me, and it doesn’t sound anything like the recordings above. I live in Missouri, and we get those two Wisconsin songs pretty often. It sounds like none of the above birds but it has the timbre of a Tufted Titmouse. [16] Unlike many birds, the offspring of tufted titmice will often stay with their parents during the winter, and even after the first year of their life. It’s almost obvious that s/he is happy, it’s palpable. Communication with Shared Song Themes in Tufted Titmice Parus bicolor Auk 100:414-424. http://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/auk/v100n02/p0414-p0424.pdf. Although the tufted titmouse is non-migratory and originally native to Ohio and Mississippi, factors such as bird feeders have caused these birds to occupy a larger amount of territory across the United States and stretching into Ontario, Canada. Hi Jay, I think Tufted Titmouse is a good guess. Not at all what I’m used to hearing. At one time I was satisfied it was the Tufted Titmouse but then everything I looked at said that the TT says “Peter Peter Peter.” There had to be three whistles. In the 1990s, on a visit to Concord, Massachusetts, I was struck by how different the Tufted Titmice sounded from the ones I was used to in New Jersey. Could easily be the ‘Pe’ of Peter, but no follow up… Similar to XC52353, but only two notes, and not that first lower note. The Titmice I hear around Richmond Va sound just like the 1st recording. The very last recording above is the one that I hear most (N.E. Ive heard a titmouse mimic a red tailed hawk once before did a pretty good rendition, I heard a bird that I could not find to identify visually. I’ve been trying to identify a bird from northern Ohio that sings a clear 3 note song that is a (D B E) on a music scale. I tracked him down and watched him sing it repeatedly. [8], The tufted titmouse gathers food from the ground and from tree branches. Sorry to bring this up in the wrong context! Listen for clear, whistled But it sounded like, “So here I am”, with the first note high, the second note low, and the last two rising. More like “ov-er-here” than “quick-three- beers” but the same sequence of notes. Its song is a pretty whistled repetition that is characterized as, “peter, peter, peter.” A male Titmouse is quite vocal in the springtime as he uses this song to define the territory he and his mate will need to nest and raise their young. I actually saw him as he sang the 3 note song. Anyone know of a bird that sounds like it is telling a story? (recorded today in Asheville NC). Honestly, I am absolutely stunned, awed and blown away beyond words at how unbelievably communicative this little bird is, I have never EVER encountered anything like it in all the years I’ve worked with birds and animals….not ever! I live in Concord across from Sleepy Hollow Cemetary, which is a big hangout for these birds. I never got a glimpse of the bird, but most of the birders I’ve tried to describe the song to insist it had to be a Tufted Titmouse. Do you hear songs like the Massachusetts recordings in your region? Hi Jeff, That sounds very plausible. Titmice will stash food for later use. Ernie… I’m not a confident birder, and for a long while I had no idea what the bird in my recording was, so I have some sympathy for your Indignant Lady. I heard a song that says CHEE woo, CHEE woo. Impossible! I hope you understand! The tufted titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) is a small songbird from North America, a species in the tit and chickadee family (Paridae). First, an absolutely typical song from Arkansas, A variation of the “peter” song from Tennessee, Here is a song nearly identical to the one I recorded in Concord, but a much cleaner recording, from Hampshire, MA, about 70 miles west of Concord. in the back ground of XC29512, what is the 2-note call heard softly at :01? Tufted Titmouse peeping at a White-breasted nuthatch. I tried to find an online recording of this song variant, but couldn’t find one anywhere. I may be starting to obsess over this one unseen bird, but I’d just like to know, even if I don’t tick a mark on a list for the bird. Excellent post. Oh, it was just after 9AM in SW PA if you’re curious. Does this sound right? The pitch and general tone of the sound fits, and I have heard one or two over the years giving odd non-repetitive songs like this. I now think this was probably a Baltimore Oriole, because I have heard some recordings on Xeno Canto that sound very much like this. Usually when the weather gets warmer. I am so glad to have figured it out because I had this daily reminder when I would hear it that I could not ID the bird, which was quite frustrating! Within 20 minutes I had two flying around the speaker, looking for their new “friend.” This is too funny! [13] Eggs measure under 1 inch (2.5 centimetres) long and are white or cream-colored with brownish or purplish spots. Sounds like a backwards whippoorwill to me . We have lots of tufted titmice in our area, but this song cropped up last summer and we had no idea what it was. Tufted titmice breed between March and May. Confirmed. It is a perfect match. But the only recording I have is an IPhone video and it won’t send to your contact site. It doesn’t have 1 (or even 2) distinct sounds but sounded like 4 or 5 different phrases that repeat in the same order. [5], The song of the tufted titmouse is usually described as a whistled peter-peter-peter, although this song can vary in approximately 20 notable ways. I have never been able to match the song with a visual, and my local birding experts in Windsor and Dalton haven’t been able to help (well, I never brought them recordings…). Very deliberate, very musical. The surest answer will be to see the bird, and hopefully it will stick around so you can track it down. Nevertheless, this song can vary in approximately 20 notable ways. Hi Bill, That clear two-syllabled whistle is the song of Black-capped Chickadee, which does occur in northern Indiana, and they are one of the first species to start singing in January. I, however, observed mine just east of Rochester NY. My little bird’s songs are long, musical and very melodic with differing crescendos and decresendos. Tufted Titmouse (Tuftie) with a bit of snow on her beak. We’ve had a Tufted Titmouse hanging out all winter (Southeast WI). Beginning in February this year I heard what sounded very much like an Olive-sided Flycatcher. My bird is no way a titmouse, it goes lower than a titmouse’s ter. I hope he becomes a regular at my feeder. [9] The titmouse can demonstrate curiosity regarding humans, and sometimes will perch on a window ledge and seem to be peering into the house. Hi Mike, I agree that sounds like a titmouse – the low-pitched whistle in a series sounds just right, and they often give an “irregular” series like this, with notes differing in pitch or inflection. It’s kind of faint with a E. Towhee in the foreground. I have recorded its song and was advised by 2 different birding organizations that it is a “wierd” Tufted Titmouse. I watched a titmouse do a chick-a-dee call today at a water bath (for the second time!). I have been hearing this very odd call here on my property in Hudson, MA for the past 2 years.