Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated, shielding with aluminum foil after … To inspire active participation in the world outside through award-winning coverage of the sports, people, places, adventure, discoveries, health and fitness, gear and apparel, trends and events that make up an active lifestyle. tours@corbincash.com. The legal stuff: not providing your contact details may mean we have to delete your comments if another member of our community complains about them. Food & CocktailsSaturday: 11:00a.m. You should know that we will store your details securely just in case we need to get in touch with you about your post in the future. You are now subscribed to What You Missed Beautiful. Thank youYou have been added to our mailing list. Our mission to inspire readers to get outside has never been more critical. For example, Woody Creek Distillers in Colorado, which makes artisanal bottles in small batches, uses 13 pounds a bottle. Bake in oven until tender and fully cooked, about 40 to 55 minutes, depending on size. “I wanted to get involved in the craft spirit movement, so I bought a book off the internet and started this in my garage.”, Unfortunately, the thing that makes sweet potatoes healthier than white potatoes is the same thing that makes it tricky to turn them into alcohol. That means growing sweet potatoes in rotation with rye protects local waterways from excess nitrogen runoff. Today it takes only 10-to-15 pounds of sweet potatoes to make a batch of his Corbin Sweet Potato Vodka. Fresh apple and peaches. We’ve all heard the advice: We should be eating more sweet potatoes. Utterly amazing. Sweet, almost chocolatey. “And I can get more for them by turning them into liquor than by selling them for sweet potato fries,” he says. I also use it as flavouring in baking (try a bit in your next banana bread). Souza describes his sweet potato spirits as “having a hint of sweetness, a floral nose, and a caramel-sweet finish.” But it doesn’t actually taste like a sweet potato. But distilling is a great use for sweet potatoes that wouldn’t make the cut for grocery stores: those that are too big, too small, dented, or otherwise unlovable. On their website, the makers of Covington note that this is a natural, because “folks have been making potato vodka for … We take great pride in the quality of our ingredients. Help fund our award-winning journalism with a contribution today. Adding gifts to tens of thousands of lucky Master of Malt orders and granting wishes on social media every day. That someone was David Souza, a fourth-generation sweet potato farmer in California’s Central Valley. After he extracts the liquor from the tubers, Souza is able to sell the leftover mash as animal feed. Sweet potatoes thrive in our sandy soil and Central California’s arid climate and Merced rye is planted as a drought-tolerant cover crop throughout the fall and winter. Want Sweet Potato Toffee Apple for Christmas? This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google. It takes 10-to-15 pounds of sweet potatoes to make one bottle of Corbin Sweet Potato Vodka. Mix until well blended. For his first batch, Souza had to use 25 pounds of sweet potatoes to extract enough alcohol for one 750-milliliter bottle, which “wasn’t going to be economically viable, but the flavor profile was really, really good,” he says. Hit the button above and let him know what you'd like! – 7:00p.m. Special offers, recommendations and expert advice to your inbox! “Sweet potatoes use a lot of nitrogen, and the rye root systems go down 13 feet to remove a lot of the remaining nitrogen,” Souza says. Because of that, sweet potatoes don't spike our blood sugar too quickly and provide a longer energy boost. Unsubscribe at any time. Cool to touch. All our spirits are made from the products we grow on our nearly 100 year old farm. Our crop rotation is specially designed to be ideal for both farming and distilling all our sweet potato spirits and rye whiskey. Stir well and strain into a chilled coupe or cocktail glass. Vodka can be made with Potatoes, Molasses, Sugar, Bread, Barley and most commonly wheat. As he watched craft distilling gain momentum, he wondered if he could find a way to make his harvest part of it. Sooooo nice with a bit of ice and little pepsi.Never been a big drinker, but this is 1 drink I will buy again and again . Add all ingredients to a mixing glass or tin. “All we want is the sugar. Amazing, now a staple for the drinks cabinet. Currently, the Souza family farm sells sweet potato vodka, whiskey, and liqueur. CLOSED 11/27 & 11/28 This is delicious,I love it..Think this is my 3rd order as I keep offering it to friends and then we finish the bottle! All rights reserved. We will not share your email with anyone for any reason. OMGoodness..I don't like alcohol..well,I didn't! An interesting liqueur from The Sweet Potato Spirit Co., made using their Sweet Potato Moonshine with the flavours of toffee apples! Serve chilled, or over ice-cream (which would, in turn, chill the liqueur). Thank you for your support of a family owned company. By clicking “Signup”, you confirm that you have read, understand and agree to our Privacy Policy. Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out flesh into a large bowl. Since 1917, the Souza family has grown sweet potatoes and Merced rye on our California farm. But the yeast needed for the fermentation process couldn’t break down these sugars either. (although, in the case where you only give us your name and contact details in connection with a review, we will never use that information for any promotional or marketing purposes). Nutritionists love the tubers for their high potassium and vitamin A content, and endurance athletes love the sustained energy they provide. It's gorgeous. Mash sweet potato flesh and measure out 2 cups (500 ml), discarding remainder or saving for another use. This year he's added gin, whiskey, and liqueur to the lineup. No spam and entirely confidential. I did. Bought a minature bottle at a deli somewhere last summer and promised myself I would order a bottle for my birthday. Our 5 core products include our signature Sweet Potato Vodka, Rye Whiskey, Blended Whiskey, Dry Gin, and Sweet Potato Liqueur. So here’s our question: Does drinking sweet potato liquor count? In recent years, Outside Online has reported on groundbreaking research linking time in nature to improved mental and physical health, and we’ve kept you informed about the unprecedented threats to America’s public lands. Smooth and full. Please click here for more details. I make hot, spiced apple drinks with this during the colder months and it's delicious!