Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Thanks! It is fast and easy. The lingonberry jam is a side for the Meatballs like having cranberries with turkey. The meatballs are baked in this recipe for convenience. If you just added flour to a liquid you’d end up with a clumpy mess. You need to make sure that the meatballs are already fully cooked. It’s a dish that will have your guests (and your kids) coming back for more. Then, allow to simmer 5 minutes more. DH loved it - DS, who is picky, didn't let a drop hit the floor (and he doesn't like red meat!). In this dish I used my own Swedish Seasoning Blend.. Whatever you use, make sure it is large enough to hold all the sauce and meatballs. I am legally blind, so in order to make things even easier,I have made up several seasoning blends from this site. 393 calories; protein 15g 30% DV; carbohydrates 12.2g 4% DV; fat 31.5g 48% DV; cholesterol 140.4mg 47% DV; sodium 357.8mg 14% DV. The meatballs in the recipe is a great meatball recipe for any type of meatballs, just change out the spices. What a delicious meal! This website is filled with lots of recipes highlighting my culinary journey. Can’t wait to try your recipe. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/meatballswithtomatos_74759 To serve as an hors d'oeuvres, add meatballs (homemade or frozen) to a crock pot, pour over the sauce, stir, and keep on the warm setting. You can always cook your meatballs in a skillet, but I really am a huge fan of baking simply for the convenience. My mom used to make these when I was young but could never recreate the recipe. That was probably my bad, but for those of you thinking you can healthy this up with low fat sour cream and low sodium veggie broth, I’d suggest against it. Here at The Stay At Home Chef we believe that every family can easily serve restaurant quality recipes at home. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Spices – Kosher salt, black pepper, allspice, nutmeg, garlic powder, and onion powder. Allspice is a spice. Your email address will not be published. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat, then stir in the flour to form a lump-free roux. Add Worcestershire sauce: 2 teaspoons will make the sauce more flavorful, Add soy sauce: 2 teaspoons will add more flavor, Add dijon mustard: 1 teaspoon will spice up the sauce nicely, Add coconut aminos: 2 teaspoons will enhance the sauce the way Worcestershire sauce does. Step number 4 in this recipe involves making a roux. Next, mix in the Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and flour. Easy to make and the kids loved it! It’s best to make the sauce just before serving. Its great served over egg noodles with warm rolls:) definitely a keeper will make again. There’s a lot of sauce left over & I was wondering if it’s possible to freeze it, any ideas? Yup, that’s my kids. Looks delicious, can you make this the night before, warm it up and put it over meatballs when you’re serving it? Not only does baking the meatballs free you up to work on other things, it also keeps things separate for kids who will eat meatballs, but won’t eat sauce. I also switched out the cup of cream with 1/2 c half&half and a 1/2c sour cream. Transfer the sauce to a slow cooker and mix in the cooked meatballs. Comfort food recipes with real ingredients made easy! Add sour cream: Add 1/2 cup in addition to the heavy cream or use 1 cup of sour cream in place of the heavy cream. I even recently took a trip to Sweden and sought out a restaurant that specializes in Swedish meatballs. This browning really enhances the flavour of the gravy. 2. Log in, Swedish meatballs with creamy mustard sauce. To serve as a dinnertime entree, spoon the sauce over meatballs with a side of pasta or mashed potatoes. Sign up to save recipes in you recipe book, write reviews and more! Roll golf-ball sized pieces of meat into balls and place on a plate (see Note 1). Can I use beef stock instead of beef broth? You can always cook your meatballs in a skillet, but I really am a huge fan of baking simply for the convenience. Thank you. They are simple to make, using condensed cream of mushroom soup, milk and sour cream as the base ingredients for the creamy sauce that the meatballs are simmered in. You can store Swedish Meatballs in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days. My first time ever making Swedish Meatballs and the recipe was easy and spot on to make. This was wonderful. These are so delicious and easy to make. By signing up you agree to thestayathomechef.com's terms of use and privacy policy. Sometimes having a visual reference makes all the difference. I’m not sure I would classify it as an appetizer though. I doubled the meatballs and seasoned the sauce to my taste. Whether you’re making homemade meatballs or enlisting time-saving help in the form of frozen meatballs, once you smother them with this Swedish Meatball Sauce — velvety smooth, speckled with warm spices and bearing just a hint of tang — your guests will never know the difference. You are looking for the onions to start to brown up and begin to caramelize on the outside, as seen in the picture above. This recipe makes a generous amount of sauce for a 1/2 package (20 oz) of meatballs. Follow the instructions up to and including step 5. How … Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the sauce is reduced to 1 cup, about 5 minutes. ground pork or country style ground pork sausage. Transfer the plate with the meatballs to the refrigerator and leave for at least 30 minutes to give the meatballs time to firm up.