They will frequently graze on live rocks looking to eat algae. They will perch on the rocks in your tank and will clean your fish of parasites or dead scales. Then, watch them zip to life at feeding time. If switching foods and spiking with garlic do not get them to eat then it is time to get some Salt acclimated mollies or guppies. The Tomini Tang is one of the smallest tangs in the aquarium hobby. Despite their big appetite, they stay fairly small in size, growing to around 1 inch. They can be a nice addition to every reef tank. They are even suitable for beginners. All the world loves a clown–and the Ocellaris, or “common” clownfish is probably the # 1 most popular saltwater fish in the world. Tripletail—Not as popular as some of the other top 5 on our list, but Tripletail is a … However, they have venomous dorsal spines, so you’ll need to be careful with these species. If you want to add the classic look of the common clownfish with a slightly less “common” species, take a look at the Percula clownfish, or “Perc”. Can lawnmower Bennie get too old to eat algae? These guys are never getting tired. They are inxpensive. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. These little fascinating creatures are always pleasant to watch. Check out the New Saltwater Aquarium Guide here. Here are 25 great beginner saltwater fish and 7 fish recommended by others or sometimes just so irresistible at local fish stores that you should avoid.eval(ez_write_tag([[728,90],'saltwateraquariumblog_com-box-3','ezslot_16',125,'0','0'])); Peaceful, inexpensive, ubiquitous, easy to feed (which means eager to eat frozen foods, flakes or pellets (if small enough) and a great shoaling fish (sometimes), the green chromis stands out, in my mind, as one of the best beginner saltwater fish. Lear more about how to care for the coral beauty angelfish here. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. I love watching these guys go to work. Here are 25 great beginner saltwater fish and 7 fish recommended by others or sometimes just so irresistible at local fish stores that you should avoid.. Green chromis: A great beginner saltwater fish. Just seeing if you’re paying attention, but in case you were wondering…hey, maybe the blue devil damselfish is out, but what about this adorable-looking three-spot damselfish? Adorable. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Whether you're battling a bit of hair algae on your reef or tackling a full-blown bubble algae infestation, an algae-grazing fish may provide the perfect solution. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Then, you’ll likely be adding them to a tank full of reef fish. The one downside is that they are susceptible to saltwater ich. They are also hardy and inexpensive. Required fields are marked *. anything that swims into it’s territory. One of the most popular types of saltwater snails are the Turbo Snails. What these fish don’t have in looks, they make up for with their personality. These little guys with peaceful character will thrive in well-established tanks with plenty of algae to eat. Do not keep large saltwater fish for beginners in your aquarium because they can eat small fish breeds. This hardy, bold invertebrate predator will sit on display, perched on the live rock, waiting for a meal. Many of them seem to glow, with electric coloration. For a guy, like me, who likes to eat, I also identify with the fact that they seem to be always scouring the rock work looking for something to eat–copepods, worms, you name it. Just be sure to get some algae in their diet, to keep them healthy. There isn’t a definite answer to this question. They are on fire, look great, are hardy, relatively inexpensive fish. Algae is desirable if it comes in balance with other inhabitants in the tank such as herbivores. Torpedo-shaped, with bold, prominent black lines and a flashy yellow head, the striped blenny is another great beginner saltwater fish. I will take that with a grain of salt because when they are not well fed, can nip at corals. There are a lot of different types of algae eating crabs. Are Jellyfish Immortal? learn more about the blue devil damselfish here. But they, unfortunately, have some pretty special care requirements. One of my favorite fish to look at, in terms of coloration/patterns. Rock Cod. Another popular choice for the clean up crew is the Turban Snails. The rapid growth of nuisance algae in reef tanks has always been a real nightmare for many aquarists. Then you have to figure out how to acclimate them to saltwater by slowly increasing the salinity without hurting or killing them. The firefish goby is certainly one of the best beginner saltwater fish. Look, they’re cheap, ubiquitous and can tolerate full strength saltwater, but just because they can tolerate it doesn’t mean they are a beginner saltwater fish. In fact, many of the fish we eat come from the ocean such as tuna, flounder, halibut, mackerel and mahi mahi. The Copperband butterflyfish is another extremely popular saltwater fish. Mollies are not reef fish. They can be a lot of work. You can usually spot them constantly picking up the rocks looking for algae to eat. Don’t get me wrong, by smaller tank I don’t mean nano tanks. One of the best saltwater algae eaters in the hobby is the Lawnmower Blenny. They are extremely hardy. But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. This list of saltwater algae eaters is not listed in any particular order. They will accept live foods and frozen too. Probably the most gorgeous and delicate-looking fish available for less than $15 (at most stores, I assume). Not quite as popular as some of their mainstream cousins, the mild-mannered pink skunk clownfish is certainly still a top 25 choice and is a perfect beginner saltwater fish choice if you want a very cool but less traditional clownfish species. The biggest benefit of adding Emerald Crab in your aquarium is their ability to eat bubble algae. Another popular choice of algae eater is the Emerald Crab ( Mithraculus sculptus).