I've made them several times and they turn out perfect every time. Have the seasoned flour mixture and chicken ready to go before putting the baking pan with the butter in the oven so you can watch the butter carefully to be sure it doesn't burn. I wanted to share some changes that have taken this from delicious to AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS. Thank you so much for the awesome feedback. The baking powder reacts with the skin and draws out the moisture, which in turns helps the skin get nice and crispy. Now I have My Own Hand Written 2 Oven Baked Chicken Recipes!!! I'm a busy wife and mom who loves to cook, bake and create. Arrange the coated chicken thighs on the grilling rack, leaving a little space between the pieces. free email bonusTested, Tasted & Terrific! If you have poultry seasoning on hand that would certainly taste (and small) amazing on these baked chicken legs. Cut the butter into pieces and place half (1/4 cup) in each foil-lined pan. I am loving super easy one-pot recipes these days which are high on taste but ridiculously low in efforts! Alternatively, you can skip the tossing and serve the crispy chicken thighs with a dipping sauce on the side; my favorite is ranch dipping sauce! Looking for super-easy chicken dinner which will be loved by all in the family? Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and bake the chicken drumsticks for about 40-45 minutes, turning them over after about 30 minutes. Keep this recipe handy in your lockdown recipe collection and I am sure it will prove to be your savior in multiple occasions! If you put all of the chicken thighs in at once, they may not be evenly covered in the flour mixture. Copyright © 2020 Leaf Group Ltd., all rights reserved. Filed Under: Chicken, Grilled, Roasted & Baked, Lunch & Dinner, Main Course, Non Vegetarian, Best Ever Oven Fried Chicken Thighs | Super Crispy 5-Ingredients Chicken Thighs. Adjust the heat if necessary so that the oil is bubbling gently around the chicken parts. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. Remove chicken from marinade and add, 1 piece at a time, to flour mixture; toss to coat. Very disappointing! Serve them with macaroni and cheese, scalloped potatoes, or any of your favorite veggie sides. It didn't affect taste, though. Fried chicken drumsticks is a popular food all over the country, but it is especially popular in the south, which means that they make a lot of fried chicken that is pretty good. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Last Updated: August 31, 2020 They are also great cold or at room temperature, and the recipe is easily scaled up or down. Using boneless, skinless chicken and cutting it into strips helps the chicken cook quickly. Spray with butter flavor cooking spray before baking for that golden skin. Ours took about an hour to bake, as they were on the large size. This article has been viewed 24,252 times. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. From top chefs to Southern grandmothers, everyone has a different method and recipe for crispy fried chicken that they claim is the best. Finally, flip the chicken over and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes. Hence you get the gorgeous brown skin which is so crispy that it looks and tastes like fried chicken! If you don’t have a baking rack just spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray. With this cookbook, you’re never more than a few steps away from a down home dinner. You could easily swap out the seasonings I used for anything you like. Fill a wide bowl with buttermilk. Place the chicken in the bag a few pieces at a time and shake to coat. Make sure there is at least an inch gap between any 2 pieces. I made this recipe three times to make sure I wasn't making this recipe wrong. These oven-fried drumsticks simplify the method without sacrificing flavor. She’d make it for dinner at least once a month, and the family would come running. These oven-fried drumsticks simplify the method without sacrificing flavor. In another bowl, whisk together flour, breadcrumbs, baking powder, and seasonings to make a dry coating. Bake the oven-fried chicken. Great lil recipe and it tasted really good… I added an additional 2 teaspoons of poultry/steak seasoning and it woke up the flavor even more… I used to oven fry like this And it’s so much healthier than oil frying! Season the batter to your liking with salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Coat the chicken with the seasoned flour mixture, shaking about three legs at a time in the bag. We enjoyed the chicken had to cook just a bit longer I put the cover back over it so it would steam abit longer l removed cover turned the chicken back over to take away a little of the wetness. Yes chicken is safe at 165 but 185 is the temp to cook dark meat. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil, then place a grilling rack on top of the lined tray. I like to keep my recipes simple, not requiring a ton of steps, but for even juicier chicken you could soak the drumsticks for a couple of hours in buttermilk. The bubbles expand the surface area of the batter, breaking up its thickness, which results in a lighter, crispier fried chicken. Bake in the preheated 425 degree oven for 45-50 minutes, turning over after 30 minutes. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. Buttermilk Oven-Fried Chicken Using Panko, https://food52.com/recipes/58557-judy-hesser-s-oven-fried-chicken, https://www.savorynothings.com/crispy-oven-fried-chicken/, http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/buttermilk-oven-fried-chicken-51252460, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. I am talking about 425F on convection. Put the baking sheet in the oven and cook the drumsticks for 40 to 45 minutes. Dip the chicken into the buttermilk one piece at a time, then place it into the bag of seasoned flour. You must use convection mode to get that ultra-crispiness. I also swapped out the paprika for chili powder because it’s what I had available. Depending on your oven, you may need to cook the chicken longer until it becomes golden brown. Removing the water will help the chicken crisp up in the oven. You'll need to coat them in batches, since all of the chicken won't fit in the bowl at the same time. It is the only fried chicken recipe I use!!! I didn't have wire racks to put them on so I greased a broiler pan and used that. References. And I’ll get back to you. In a large zip-top bag, combine flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, paprika and black pepper. Another important step to make this oven fried chicken thighs recipe perfect every time is the use of grilling rack. I didn’t change the recipe much other than increasing the ingredients to account for the larger pieces of chicken. Add chicken and turn to coat. Jess Kapadia is a food writer and editor with a decade of experience specializing in food and dining.