I used a wi-fi app to test whether my signal was stronger in the upstairs bedroom - and it is. Similar to the NETGEAR EX6100 AC750 Range Extender Tim reviewed earlier this year, the Linksys RE6500 has a "Crossband" feature, similar to NETGEAR's "FastLane", that uses the radio on one band as the "backhaul" to the router while the other radio provides extended coverage to wireless clients. Verified Purchase. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. We buy all products with our own funds, and we never accept free products from manufacturers. -literally plugged it in, waited till the light turned solid, connected to my computer, started Chrome browser, it initiated set up, put in my password - boom, done. Setup was very easy and I believe even a non-technical person will have it working within 20 minutes. In addition to being the fastest and the one with the longest range, it's small, inexpensive and quick to set up." Click Network. Biggest Black Friday deals right now: $170 AirPods Pro at Amazon, $159 Chromebook, $100 Fitbit Charge 4 and more, Black Friday 2020 TV deals: 55-inch TCL Roku TV for $280, 50-inch Android TV for $230, Vizio OLED for $900, Walmart's Black Friday sale is live: $50 Google Nest Hub, $49 Instant Pot, top video games as low as $15. Normal net use is MUCH faster as well! Overall I’d recommend it. This gives you a premium connection and greatly improves streaming quality as you need it. While for the most part I find the Cisco Connect Cloud a welcome change, it has a couple of drawbacks compared with the traditional Web interface. Be aware it does not give you one big router coverage, but adds a second router choice in the new area. The EA6500, however, also simultaneously supports the three-stream setup of the 802.11ac standard to offer up to 1.3Gbps when connected to 802.11ac Wi-Fi clients. What should I do about it? from the extender. We take a look at whether it means trouble for your 11ac network. Had to buy a different unit to get up and running and not sure if it's worth my time and cost to ship the unit off to get a refurbished one back that I could keep as a spare or try to sell. Like others in Cisco's Linksys EA family, the EA6500 offers a slew of features via the Cisco Cloud Connect platform. Regardless of how fast the connections to the Internet are on the router's and the remote user's ends, there's a clear delay when moving from one item to another. Fan of the new 802.11ac standard, however, will likely find the Netgear R6300 or the Asus RT-AC66u better deals, all things considered. (You can find out more about different Wi-Fi standards in this post). I moved the unit into the house and tried to reconnect. Terrible instructions. The single top panel power light shows the status as indicated above. Learn about the products you’re wondering if you should buy and get advice on using your latest purchases. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, Linksys RE6500 AC1200 MAX Wi-Fi Gigabit Range Extender / Repeater, See all details for Linksys RE6500 AC1200 MAX Wi-Fi Gigabit Range Extender / Repeater, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. If you’re in a larger building with multiple rooms that have little to no connection to your router, it’s best to splurge on a WiFi extender with a larger range. "The Linksys RE6500 stood out as the best choice. I purchased this extender hoping to extend coverage to those areas, and it worked beautifully. From then on, each time you want to change the router's settings or manage its features, you can sign in via the Cisco Connect Cloud portal or via the Cisco Connect Cloud mobile app, which is currently available for iOS and Android devices. NETGEAR R7800 Nighthawk X4S Smart WiFi Gaming Router... ASUS RT-AC86U Dual Band AC2900 Wireless Router Reviewed... ASUS RT-AC3200 Smart Connect: The Missing Manual. Its RE6500… Introduction. Leaves another outlet available for other electronics. Move the device closer to your router to get a better signal. We suggest installing the WiFi extender approximately halfway between the router and the area of your home experiencing spotty WiFi. cp_1, bvpage1. Working sometimes I’ve had to reboot it over and over to get WiFi to work. I have had this range extender for several months and I have to say that it has not lived up to my hopes and … Like every other website on the planet, SmallNetBuilder uses cookies. If your connected devices are carrying less than 50% of your WiFi signal, try moving closer to the WiFi extender for a better signal. Please use the Contact Form for such requests. Also on the back are a button for the Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) feature and a recessed reset button. Decent extender, but had issues with cutting out. Reviewed in the United States on February 25, 2018. The Bottom Line With the latest firmware, the Linksys EA6500 makes a decent contender among the handful of its peers. My 22 year-old nephew had issues and had to call the help desk. The manufacturer commented on the review below. While it lacks the pair of high-gain antennas of its counterpart, the original RE6500 is an affordable solution. This caused the signal to 'come and go.' I returned the range extender and will be looking for another solution to my problem. It stopped blinking when finally set up. It took my 16 old some time to create new pass codes and accounts. Cisco Cloud Connect, which I've reviewed separately, is a new and, in my opinion, a much better approach to managing your home network. User rating, 4.1 out of 5 stars with 2366 reviews. This is an especially useful feature for mobile devices because it automatically switches your connection to the strongest WiFi signal in the building as you move from room to room, without buffering or dropped signals. Updated - Our first look at the performance of NETGEAR's RAX80 and ASUS' RT-AX88U shows little benefit functioning as AC routers. Here are the four variants to watch for: Solid green: The WiFi extender has a solid connection with your router. is a desktop device that is functionally similar to the newer RE6500HG, with its excellent 10,000-square-foot range, four gigabit Ethernet ports, and Crossband technology to deliver the fastest and strongest WiFi signal available at any given moment. While it lacks the pair of high-gain antennas of its counterpart, the original RE6500 is an affordable … We delete comments that violate our policy, which we encourage you to read. One thing I will note, no matter where I put the router, the max speed I am getting from it, as a wireless extender, is like 150 Mbps. All is good!!! I needed it for the garage because I am in there working on my car and my iPad couldn't receive a strong enough signal from the living room. There are no LEDs to show connection/data for either wireless network. I have been using these for a few years. Seamless Roaming: This is an especially useful feature for mobile devices because it automatically switches your connection to the strongest WiFi signal in the building as you move from room to room, without buffering or dropped signals. ... RE6500 SKU: 7401006. Linksys's newest top-of-the line wireless range extender, the RE6500, probably has one of the longer official product names I've seen: Linksys RE6500 AC1200 Dual Band Wireless AC Range Extender 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Easy to follow instructions. If your connected devices are carrying less than 50% of your WiFi signal, try moving closer to the WiFi extender for a better signal. Features It works most of the time but I do experience some connections issues sporadically. (And Best Buy guaranteed that it would do the job.). There seems to be a bug in the latest Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 firmware for Asus RT-AX88U.In the Static-DHCP list I created, sometimes devices I named wi... AX56U with IPSEC VPN server enabled is conflicting with Astrill Applet. You don't have to be an IT expert to set it up. Most of the information contained on this site is copyrighted material. bvseo_bulk, prod_bvrr, vn_bulk_3.0.12. Well worth the cost ---especially as a fixed cost vs. This extender fills in admirably but only provides about 1/4 of my wifi speed even after having used the wifi analyzer to find the "optimal" location. Worked fine for two weeks as a WiFi bridge to two printers connected to its ethernet ports. Because the side of the barn is metal the extender was unable to maintain a connection and the signal was sporadic. I have FIVE bars of wifi and can easily stream anything. The Linksys AC1200 Dual-Band WiFi Extender (RE6500) is a desktop device that is functionally similar to the newer RE6500HG, with its excellent 10,000-square-foot range, four gigabit Ethernet ports, and …