We found the idea here. The cedar planter shown above has 8 individual pockets which make it easy to create individual growing sections for each type of herb. Hydroponic herb gardens are the best way to grow a large number of herbs indoors quickly. You can plant three or four varieties together in a large planter. Have multiple, bright windows in your kitchen? Set the glass or bottles on the window sill exposed to indirect light. The impulse to start a kitchen herb garden is typically born out of frustration. Mine is typically from late March to mid-September. If you don’t have enough light in your kitchen, try one of these Smart Herb Gardens by Click and Grow. The one shown to the right is available on Etsy from the seller Potting Shed Creations. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission. Also Read: DIY Mason Jar Ideas For Gardeners. Basil, parsley, cilantro and thyme are some of the more common herbs sold in markets. Find more Planters' Choice Organic Herb Growing Kit information and reviews here. See more ideas about herb garden, kitchen herbs, herbs. Watch this YouTube video tutorial to make a tiered garden on your kitchen counter. Culinary herbs make wonderful companion plants to many vegetables improving their flavor and warding off unwanted pests. If you lack outdoor space, take inspiration from these 11 DIY Kitchen Countertop Herb Garden Ideas to grow your typical herbs and greens indoors! Inventive garden companies have designed a solution for this problem – vertical and hanging herb garden planters. Use these 20 Kitchen Herb Garden Ideas to transform your space into a mini garden! Select from our list of indoor herbs and hang their pots on the kitchen window by means of curtain rods. You can set an herb garden on any wall that receives a good bit of sun. Photo by amberdc/courtesy of Flickrhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/amberdc/. The seeds come in a long tube filled with grow medium and pre planted with seeds, so you just need to fill the bottles and stick them in. Plant herbs and flowers in separate pots for a flexible design. This will not only enhance the look of the space but will also give you a fresh supply of herbs whenever you want! Ensure the spot receives partial sunlight, the tutorial is here. The healing and nutritional properties of basil, one of the oldest herbs known to mankind does not need an introduction. I want to share what I have learned about growing herbs and other plants inside my small home. All rights reserved. Hydroponic Herb Gardens – How do they work? For more details, click here! Mint should be planted under melons to increase their flavor. Also, if you want to go down the path of using one of those all-in-one herb growing systems online, be aware that many have specialized seed pod systems or other features that give you less control over what you can grow. “Parsley? This cute trio is a nice intriducton into herb gardening, and makes a great gift. Keep them in small pots to have a handful of fresh herbs ready whenever you need them! Read this tutorial for more details. The planter shown in the picture is a set of 3 terra cotta pots framed by a rustic chicken wire pot holder. Still, wouldn’t it be nice to just use herbs at your leisure and not feel like you're making pesto with a gun held to your head? It costs roughly the same, and you don’t need to worry about germinating weeks in advance. Epicurious may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers. A common mistake Joey has seen with new herb growers is that they will try to grow plants with different watering needs in the same box, resulting in inconsistent growth. Basil is perfect growing next to your tomatoes and peppers. Find more Aquaphoric Herb Garden Tub information and reviews here. This inexpensive kit includes everything you need to start yoru own kitchen herb garden. The planters are made in the USA of rot-resistant cedar wood, and each one has its own plant marker. Why not create a mini herb garden using these Recycled Grow Bottles? I can’t say enough how much I love my simple DIY kitchen herb garden. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. To best prepare you for growing your own herbs, I tapped the mind of my coworker Joey DeLeo, who has a lifetime of gardening experience and 15 years managing a community garden under his belt. This is a nice way to be kind to the earth while you grow your own herbs. You can use artificial lights to grow your favorite herbs in the dark in modular sets. The gardener’s at Yates have created this handy companion planting chart for vegetables and herbs. They will also keep you inspired to cook fresh healthy meals or provide a gentle reminder to add a pretty garnish of herbs to your dish. The DIY kitchen garden idea is here. All you have to do is plug it into an outlet and fill the water tank about once a month. This is another great hostess gift or easy way to get started growing culinary herbs. But, how many recipe actually call for savory? The impulse to start a kitchen herb garden is typically born out of frustration. Check out our article on gardening gift ideas to find some additional recommendations that are well suited for the herb gardener. When gardening outdoors you have a growing season that is for your climate. All products featured on Epicurious are independently selected by our editors. Here’s how to create a beginner herb garden with supplies from your local grocer. This increases the visual appeal and allows you to bring more color to your herb garden. This hydroponic herb garden is designed with a small footprint so it fits on yoru kitchen counter or windowsill. Your best option would be to get a growing setup with a timed light. How to Improve the Taste, Color, and Life Span of Grocery Store Basil. If you are an avid gardener, you must be looking out for ways to use the space in your kitchen to grow your favorite plants. Select a few herbs which grow well together. You can hang them in your kitchen to grow tasty and organic edibles. Head on over to the small herb garden design page to get some additional inspiration. A guide to growing and enjoying herbs in the home kitchen garden. The kit also comes with germination stickers and bottle labels. This way you will only have a single location to maintain. I may have to climb over my couch and hold the window open with my head in order to water them each morning, but the payoff of thriving dill, parsley, and mint plants is worth it.