If it’s too lean, it can get tough. If i wanted to make a bigger serving— like 6 servings.. can i just double the counts of what this 2-3 serving recipe entails? Thank you! It doesn’t have to be eaten on the same day. Hello… i am wondering if i could substitute the soy sauce with some sesame oil? If your kimchi is TOO fermented to the point of being sour and is not to your taste, you can temper that by adding a tsp or so of sugar. I really helped with my homesickness now that we don’t live in Korea anymore. I LOVE this recipe. . Add onion and cook, stirring often, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Hi sue! Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe! Kimchi is nice salad in my country. Do this only if the pot is big enough to manoeuvre around.). have a lovely day/night~~!! Hmart, T&T and a lot of local asian food store will have gochujang and kimchi. I like to keep seafood with seafood. Heat a small pot … Thanks for the tip! Some Korean items are available there too. Just 1 or 2 mins tops. I love the combination of pork belly and tofu. amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; Can I use my over 3 months old.kimchi for this recipe? Seriously, it didn’t look appetising and it looked rather scary. Lol, I’m so happy to hear your daughter’s feedback! I love kimchi so I thought I would give this a try, so glad I did! Commentdocument.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a31a1f66958cd07d0312a3ebf1d95b59" );document.getElementById("fd1419734a").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); This stew has joined my arsenal of comfort foods. This recipe tastes very similar to the jjigae served in Ktown restaurants in Houston, TX . So yummy. I’ve tried to copy my mother-in-law’s recipe but, as is common, she never measures anything Thank you so much for the prompt reply. I’m not Korean, and I live in Canada. Samgyepsol is soooo awesome especially with soju ;). (Though you might be able to get gochujang / Korean chili paste at a Costco.) Incredible. Add gochugaru, gochujang, and 2 cups water and bring to a simmer over medium-high. This is strictly prohibited. Been a fan of your recipes like forever and really appreciate you sharing them with us! (Too zoomed in! …I probably shouldn’t say that, but the point is this: I love making kimchi jjigae. I don’t have gochugaru and used 1/2 tsp of chili flakes instead. That soft, tender pork belly was absolutely heavenly. Does the black bowl/pots matter when cooking this kind of stew or any Korean dishes? What are your thoughts on this? , Hi Sue, thank you for sharing your recipe. amzn_assoc_search_bar = "false"; That sounds so good. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. This soup goes so well with fatty pork. Thanks Sue for such an authentic recipe. I’m not sure if clam will go well with pork. I tried this recipe for the first time two weeks ago and it was hot, spicy and delicious. I find it a tad sweet for my liking. Or are there any substitutes that i can use? Try to use fatty cuts of beef. Not all restaurant serve it with the ordered menu. I made it with my homemade kimchi, I am in love. Thank you for what you do! Boil the pot on medium high heat initially then reduce the heat to medium once it starts boiling. Do you have a recipe for kimchi so I can make my own for this soup? Love this recipe! Thanks for the recipe. My husband loves kimchi jjigae but gets bad indigestion from eating the restaurant ones. Then, close the lid and reduce the heat for the jjigae to simmer for about 20-30 minutes. I love this version of Kimchi soup! Yes, all Korean stew/soup taste special in this black pot. I am hooked! Will be making bigger batches of kimchi with this in mind! On korean drama shows i always see zucchini in the soup so i added that. This is my go-to website for korean recipes, everything is perfect. Hope you guys enjoy my recipe! Have followed you since 2010 trying most of your recipes. Just curious to know. I’m making it again tonight. I believe you can also add a little vinegar if the stew isn’t sour enough for you, but I’ve never tried that because I don’t like my jjigae that sour.