It’s a juvenile, smudgy below, with a smooshed-down crest and generally messed-up plumage. As Peter Pyle notes, in one of the strangest and most edifying Featured “Photos” write-ups ever to grace the pages of Birding magazine, the Fitzpatrick waxwings can be aged and sexed. A very, very Happy Thanksgiving…, How apt that your descriptive-of-2020 image is also a butt shot. They are not just Long-billed Dowitchers. Please note that due to staff working from home and the holiday season, orders will not be shipped until the first of the year. Not a cedar or a holly or something else appropriately Christmassy. The ABA’s Bird of the Year program celebrates birds with wide appeal. This year’s young are beginning this (roughly) 900-mile flight now, a month after their parents have left. Which isn’t a bad thing! Please do not share my images on Pinterest, Tumblr or other image sharing sites. On August 10th I drove into the mountains for a quiet, relaxing morning and came away with quite a few bird photos I have yet to process. All images on this site and all text, both original blog text and excerpts from the book NATURALLY CURIOUS, is Copyright Mary Holland and may not be used without permission. We’ve seen Cedar Waxwings in Maine during the Christmas Bird Count. Submit your email address below and it will happen! Please do not share my images on Pinterest, Tumblr or other image sharing sites. Just one or two weeks ago I could see defuse brown stripes on the pale chest and bellies of the juvenile Cedar Waxwings I was seeing, this bird totally lacks those stripes and I can see a little bit of the pale yellow belly feathers that adults have. I really like the lushness surrounding the immature Cedar Waxwing. Males and females look alike. Maybe next year I will be able to take the photos of Cedar Waxwings in their juvenile plumage that I have been dreaming of. Ornate. And this, to all of us: celebration. Cedar Waxwing bird sounds, calls, singing and other noises made by the birds. What made making images here so enjoyable was the setting summer sun warmingly lighting the feathers and faces of the foraging birds. Juvenile Cedar Waxwing Cedar Waxwing, Forest Grove, Oregon on 21 October 2010 by Greg Gillson. Thousands, untold thousands, of cedar waxwing sightings later, my response on seeing a cedar waxwing is much the same. This is a very rare tree up north and has good fruits which last, and these sustain the newly arriving robins and waxwings. This year I’ve added dozens of images of the young Cedar Waxwings to my digital archives and quite a few to my gallery. This entry was posted on October 3, 2012 by Mary Holland. The also perform proximity feeding then retreat up into high treetops. Juvenile Cedar Waxwings Migrating Possibly because of the importance of summer fruits in their diet, Cedar Waxwings (Bombycilla cedrorum) are late nesters, but by late August adults have begun their migration to the southern states and Central America. Change ). Today they were back, as I looked around one came down to feed her baby! 4, Sagebrush Sparrows and the Subjective Experience of Rarity, How to Know the Birds: No. 20, Alien Fairies in the Big City, How to Know the Birds: No. To read additional technical and location content please click on the tabs below. Want to have an email notification land in your inbox right after I publish a post? I mentioned in passing that the bird is in a Russian olive. Click on image to order YODEL THE YEARLING from publisher, Click on image to order OTIS THE OWL from publisher, Click to order my newest children's book ANIMAL LEGS, Click to order my children's book ANIMAL MOUTHS, Click to order my children's book ANIMAL EYES. So please join me now, wherever you might be, in a collective jump-for-joy, pump-your-fist, shout-out-loud moment of mirth and wonder. If you have any questions, please email [email protected]. 1, On Hearing the First Cardinal in Spring. When you login first time using a Social Login button, we collect your account public profile information shared by Social Login provider, based on your privacy settings. The waxwing was only perched long enough for me to lock focus on it and to take four images of it before it lifted off. How to Know the Birds: No. This medium-sized passerine is brown overall with a pale yellow wash on the belly. During the next few days, I returned to try different camera bodies, lenses, teleconverters, filters and camera settings to find that sweet spot of optimized gear. Happy Thanksgiving to…, Love your photo - and your philosophy. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. 3, Watching Dippers in the Age of #SciComm, How to Know the Birds: No. My first cedar waxwing, 39 Februarys ago, was luminous. National Park with a college friend. This lens is the more modern E-Type Nikkor. Cedar waxwings are medium-sized birds approximately 6–7 in (15–18 cm) long and weighing roughly 30 g (1.1 oz). ( Log Out /  Happy Thanksgiving to…, Love your photo - and your philosophy. In human “ages” I’d say this Cedar Waxwings is in its teen aged years, not quite an adult but not a juvenile either. Immature Cedar Waxwing portrait – Nikon D500, f7.1, 1/2000, ISO 500, Nikkor 500mm VR with 1.4x TC, natural light. Juvenile Cedar WaxWing. It is also very liberating to get it right in camera and then go right to posting on my Blog or Smeds. Dave Leatherman, who notices birds in their ecological context the same way Bob Mulvihill and Peter Pyle see feather parts and feather tracts, recently posted a sobering assessment of Russian olive removal efforts in the West. 47, Watching Geese in the Age of #BirdNamesForBirds. A very, very Happy Thanksgiving…, How apt that your descriptive-of-2020 image is also a butt shot. The lens is lightweight, accepts 77mm filters and polarizers. I went birding today around the…, Thank you for your wonderful photos and informative stories. Do not download, display, PIN, print, hotlink, reproduce or use my images without my permission. This website uses cookies and third party services. There are some birds you just never get tired of. They tend to rest momentarily on sturdy twigs before they forage. On a brilliant winter afternoon three-quarters of a lifetime ago. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. A treat to find in your binocular viewfield, the Cedar Waxwing is a silky, shiny collection of brown, gray, and lemon-yellow, accented with a subdued crest, rakish black mask, and brilliant-red wax droplets on the wing feathers. We have moved to Washington State to be closer to Marlene's family. Birding was a little Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. It has been a fun ride and How to Know the Birds: No. Wingspan ranges from 8.7-11.8 in (22-30 cm). Usually in flocks in open woods and edges of woodlands.