Heat the oil in a large frying pan on medium high. Crispy Parmesan Potatoes with Onions and Garlic. Set aside for about 15 minutes. Privacy Policy. Once this is mixed through well, combine it in the same bowl as the zucchini and mix. 6. Use a spatula or (spoons) to check the other side and see if it is golden. Once it is ready, turn it down slightly so the oil doesn’t burn the fritters. For the Fritters: 2 small zucchini, chopped very small; about 10-15 zucchini flowers, washed and cut into small pieces; garlic cloves, very thinly sliced; 1/2 cup fresh sheep-milk ricotta cheese; 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese; 2 large eggs; 1/2 cup packed fresh mint, chopped; 1 teaspoon salt; 3/4 cup all purpose flour; olive oil, for frying They tasted okay, but something was definitely off. Grilled Italian Zucchini Fritters are the perfect side dish to any Italian meal, especially this time of year when zucchini are plentiful. Mom and I made these together, and I took notes as we went. Using a small knife, trim off the layer of seeds (if there are any) from each plank of zucchini. When the zucchini has had time to dry, add the seasoned flour to the zucchini bowl. So we hung up, and I attempted to make the recipe from my sketchy notes. Use the other spoon to gently scrape the zucchini and batter into the oil. As each fritter is done, remove it from the pan and place it on the paper towels so the oil will be absorbed. This post may contain affiliate links. Mom uses corn oil for frying, but I prefer canola. Blot the tops of your cooked fritters with paper towels to absorb excess oil. It features pan-fried zucchini without bread crumbs in a simple batter of flour, eggs and seasonings. Cook the fritters on the first side until you start to see the batter turning golden around the edges. (The seeds affect the flavor.) The combination of salty pecorino cheese with flavoursome zucchini are a match made in foodie heaven. Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie is pure comfort. Then, scoop out handfuls of the mixture at a time, squeezing them by pressing both hands around them until you get all of the water out, transferring them into a clean bowl. Here is the recipe logic: Pay attention to the pounds of zucchini left after you trim off the ends and seeds. ", Mom, starting to get impatient: "They have to be thin. Join Joe Borio, host of Cooking Italian with Joe, as he shares with you a taste of old Italy with this week’s recipe for, fried zucchini fritters with dipping sauce.This is a simple Italian recipe that can be made in an hour or less. Your email address will not be published. ©2020 Verizon Media. If you need to flag this entry as abusive. Cook fritters until golden, 2-3 minutes on each side. You need it 1/2-inch high. Store leftovers covered with foil (not plastic or they will become too moist) in the refrigerator for up to three days. Add bread crumbs, eggs, and parmesan cheese. Contact, Copyright © 2014-2019 High Thrive, LLC | PRIVACY POLICY. We made it easy for you to exercise your right to vote. 4. (Recipe Source: My Nonna, via my Mom, who had to show me how it's done. ", Me, slightly confused but pressing on: "So how should the zucchini be sliced? Do not reheat leftovers. In a medium bowl, mix flour with 1 1/3 teaspoons salt and 1/3 teaspoon pepper. This draws out the liquid. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Do not use olive oil, because it will burn.) Don't use olive oil for frying, because it will burn. Transfer the zucchini fritters while still warm on to a serving plate and sprinkle freshly grated Pecorino on top (generously if you’re anything like my wife!). Next, cut each piece in half the long way. Continue adding spoons of zucchini and batter to the pan in a single layer, not letting the fritters touch each other. Your email address will not be published. 5. The leftovers are great for breakfast, packed lunches or just an anytime snack. (Click here to get more details), Tempted? In this zucchini fritter recipe, combine lots of shredded cheddar cheese, grated zucchini, an egg, and bread crumbs and you've got a delicious kid-friendly healthy(ish) snack in 15 minutes! Remove zucchini into large bowl. Then serve. Tap here to turn on desktop notifications to get the news sent straight to you. 1. These delicious zucchini fritters are baked, not fried, and loaded with garlic, Parmesan cheese, and Italian herbs for lots of flavor. Watch the video below and enjoy the sightseeing of the greenest region in Europe, Subscribe to my Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/vincenzosplate. The batter, I mean.