For a smoother pesto, add more olive oil. Hello Christine, you can absolutely do the same with the herbs you listed as well as many others. This may be in late July or early August. 9. I grow everything & basil is always a BIG fail. Keep in touch with our weekly newsletter and receive a FREE digital, printable garden planning toolkit! Allow the basil to dry until it is totally crispy and crumbles easily. The good news is is that this so easy to do at home and there's more than one way to preserve your basil. If you plan to dry basil in the oven, preheat it to the lowest temperature setting now (usually 175 to 200°F for most ovens). You've made caprese salad and pesto, but what next? With its sweet, fresh flavor, basil is a wonderful unexpected addition to desserts, especially when it’s paired with summer fruits. We want them in a nice single layer to promote excellent air flow and drying. Tips to use every part of the vegetable -. This article will show you how to dry basil two ways: either using a food dehydrator or in the oven. Skip the. Good luck! I am growing my own plants in my back yard. Do you have any recommendations for pots? Crush dry basil leaves using clean dry hands, a ziplock bag, food processor, or mortar and pestle. Fresh basil leaves should be kept in the refrigerator layered in damp paper towels and stored in a plastic bag where they will last up to four days. It is a very straightforward process, but I definitely have some tips to share on how to create the most fresh-tasting and long-lasting dry basil possible. In each of the recipes below, the addition of fresh basil leaves makes the final salad really shine. Required fields are marked *, Notify me of follow-up comments via e-mail. You are very right to not plant basil too early. Bake the leaves for 2-4 hours until they're completely dried out and crumbly. Homemade dry basil should stay crunchy and delicious for well over a year, though the intensity of flavor and aroma will degrade with time. With the food processor running, drizzle in the olive oil and pulse until combined. You can add the whole leaves to a dry mixing bowl and crumble them up with clean hands. For example, if the recipe says to use one tablespoon of fresh basil, use only one teaspoon of dry. I may make a small commission from purchases made through some of those links, at no extra cost to you. Of course, if you’re looking for basil recipes, pesto has to be your #1. I find that using a lid with a silicone gasket does the job, along with not opening the jar often. Come fall and winter, you’ll be stoked to dig into your stash of homemade dry basil to use in soups, stews, sauces, marinades, and more! All rights reserved. Top 23 Plants for Pollinators: Attract Bees, Butterflies, & Hummingbirds! I LOVE to cook and you are the only person I’ve ever followed that I like nearly 100% of all your recipes! 5. 28. Remove with a slotted spoon and immediately transfer the leaves to a bowl of ice cold water. Some folks put them in a ziplock bag and then smash the heck out of it. Copyright © 2020 Love and Lemons, LLC. I like to blend it into pesto to dollop on generously along with the veggie toppings. Tuck the tray(s) of basil into the oven or dehydrator. ❄ New on Homestead and Chill ~, Citrus season is upon us, so here is your ann, It's all gravy, baby! Follow these processing and storage tips to create the most fresh-tasting and long-lasting dry basil possible. Dehydrated basil, Dried basil, Preserving basil. To process whole dry basil leaves into a flaky ground seasoning, simply crush up the leaves into your desired consistency. This preserves the dark green color. Freezing actually improves the pesto. You can even add in garlic cloves, peppercorns, or red pepper flakes to the basil-vinegar mixture for some extra flavor. I took a large bunch, washed, trimmed and then blanched in boiling water for a few seconds, then quickly into ice water. It is best to remove as much water from the leaves as possible before adding them to the dehydrator or oven, but you don’t need to go crazy here. More aromatic oils equals more flavor! I usually use stickers that wash off but I think I’ll invest in those wine pens. Or keep things simple – just sprinkle it over berries with a dollop of coconut cream. The best time to pick basil is when the nights are warm and it is slightly dry out. Organic Gardening | Real Food | Natural Health | Good Vibes. Since summer is (sadly) winding down, I've been trying to make the most out of my summer basil plant. In the end, you’ll be left with crispy, flavorful dried basil that can store in your pantry for well over a year. It is easiest to simply pinch or pluck the leaves off. Next, spread the basil leaves out in an even. By preserving it, I'll be able to use my basil year-round. If you want the perfect start to a homemade salad dressing and you have a few leftover basil leaves to use up, try infusing a bottle of white vinegar or apple cider vinegar with fresh basil. Growing herbs has become my go-to strategy for making easy meals into elevated ones – a handful of fresh herbs can transform a simple pizza or pasta into something bright, flavorful, and delicious. Also, basil will be more sweet and least bitter before it goes to flower in your garden – though we don’t let flowering basil go to waste, and totally still use it! Make your favorite pesto recipe in a food processor or mortar and pestle and pour the mixture into an ice cube tray and freeze. Raspberry Basil Blender Sorbet, page 253, Love & Lemons Every Day, Your email address will not be published. Therefore, I suggest to process only a small portion of your dried basil at a time and store the rest as whole leaves – especially if you dried a large amount. We create & photograph vegetarian recipes Finish pasta with whole or thinly sliced leaves. That is when the full flavor comes out. This is one of my favorite ways to preserve basil or any other fresh herbs. A food processor or good old-fashioned mortar and pestle will also do the trick. However, depending on how low of a heat setting your oven offers, it is easier to accidentally burn the basil in the oven – so keep a close eye on it during the process. Here are some other everyday ways to use it: Want more ideas? Remove basil leaves from the stem and toss them in a pot with boiling water for 3-5 seconds. Add the parmesan cheese, if using, and pulse to briefly combine. In the end, you’ll be left with crispy, flavorful dried basil that can store in your pantry for well over a year. Toss the stems (and any flowers) in your compost. You can simply freeze the whole basil leaves or chop them and store them in a container or freezer bag, but keep in mind that they might shrink a little. Or will that ruin the flavor? After a few years of trial and error, Jack and I can safely say that, as long as you have access to a good sunny spot, growing basil is something everyone can do.