Place the skillet back onto the stove. But this year when I noticed people starting to visit the recipe again something snapped in my photographer brain, and I decided this amazing and easy way to cook zucchini simply MUST have a new photo. Cheesy Zucchini Bake - A lower-carb alternative to potatoes. Bake, covered, in preheated oven for 30 minutes. and then I changed it a tiny bit more when I tried it, and how Pam and I were both so impressed with how this very basic idea of tossing zucchini with a few fresh and dried herbs and cheese and then baking it can produce a dish that’s so delicious. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. I think to make this work better I would do the following: precook zucchini until tender. Stir in bread crumbs until mixed well; set aside. This cheesy veggie bake makes a pretty entree or brunch item. Stir until melted and smooth. In a bowl whisk eggs with milk, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, mustard and garlic. I’m guessing a lot of Americans have never tried it. I moted the corn sauteed the turkey with garlic powder italian seasoning and a bit of ground red pepper. Zucchini baked with spaghetti sauce, ground turkey, corn, and smothered with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. What a great way to sneak a few veggies into our breakfast! Bake the zucchini for 20-25 minutes until bubbly and the zucchini is tender and the top is golden. can refrigerated crescent rolls, Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste. advertising: { With a few substitutes this will work good for us. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Feedly, All images and text ©Kalyn Denny for Kalyn's Kitchen. I mixed in 2 cups of ragu spaghetti sauce w/mushrooms & green peppers & a can of corn & poured over the zuchinni! Home Recipes Techniques Baking Casseroles & Savories. And zucchini season is here or neatly here for many of you, so when you get zucchini from your garden or the farmers market, you must try this, or make it again if you’re already a fan! Using crescent roll dough, tons of zucchini, eggs and LOADS of herbs, we baked up a delicious, eggy bake that’s so, so good. I had a bad craving for scalloped potatoes recently, but decided to try my hand at a zucchini version that was also a bit lighter on both cheese and free of heavy cream, and of course, lower in carbs! I have also completely omitted the sugar and add 2 small cans of sliced mushrooms, drained when adding the black olives. This zucchini bake totally satisfied my potato cravings and gave me those yummy comfort food vibes. Forget about the corn. Whisk eggs and Parmesan cheese; pour over zucchini. Super easy to make and bake. Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents, 2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained, 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese. I served it over wild rice (uncle ben's) & made garlic bread to go with it. var playerInstance = jwplayer('video-container'); }); If you’re a food blogger with a mega-popular recipe like this Low-Carb Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake (seen by millions and millions of people), you’ll probably try to ignore the fact that you aren’t all that thrilled with the photo you took more than six years ago when your sister Pam first told you about the recipe! blogherads.getVastTag(function(tag) { In this case, we decided to do a zucchini egg bake that’s, in the best way, sort of like a quiche-pot pie hybrid. Chop green onions, then toss together the sliced zucchini, sliced or chopped basil, sliced green onions, dried thyme, garlic powder, and 1/2 cup (or more) of each type of cheese. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Just some thoughts but I think that would turn this into at least a 4 star recipe. These Cheesy Baked Zucchini Bites are delicious nuggets of savoury goodness! Total zucchini lover here! I’m guessing it will still be pretty good though (although I’ve never made it that way.) In 12-inch nonstick skillet, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. And anything cheesy zucchini has my heart! In 12-inch nonstick skillet, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Season with salt and fresh-ground pepper and spread out in the baking dish. This was good will make again. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. I actually look forward to our annual bounty of zucchini. Welcome to Eat. Wash basil, spin dry or dry with paper towels and finely chop or slice. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). For the cheesy sauce in this zucchini au gratin, I used Monterey jack cheese. Always tasty and always a hit when served to company. It still came out great though and I can't wait to try it with fresh zucchini. }); See? Perfect for a fast weekday meal. Drink. I pretty much followed recipe but based on others having problems with zuchinni I melted a little butter & sauteed the zuchinni until the started to brown slightly. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. Whether you’re looking for a new brunch dish, or you want something different and yummy for lunch or dinner, this dish has you covered. Well, I think this is what life is all about! Amount is based on available nutrient data. And then cheese. I add 1 large green pepper, chopped to the onion and saute both. Stir in some spices and a bit of shredded cheddar and the sauce is done. Stir in salt and pepper. In a small 1.5 quart (1.5 L) casserole dish, arrange the zucchini slices in several overlapping rows, … Okay, we love sweet breakfast and brunch foods as much as the next person – pancakes, waffles and crepes are awesome – but we like to switch things up every now and again with a dish that’s packed full of flavor (and veggies)! This recipe is perfect for low-carb, Keto, or low-glycemic eating plans. When the zucchini is nearly cooked through, take the casserole dish out of the oven and sprinkle over the remaining 1/2 cup of grated mozzarella, plus a little more Parmesan if desired. mute: true, To make the sauce, I warmed heavy cream on the stove, then removed it from the heat. baking dish. Preheat oven to 400º F. Season 8x8-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Add zucchini; … This was a great kids meal served over rice. (crookneck) squash. I added 2 cloves of garlic chopped while browning ground beef (had it thawed out already so used it instead of turkey). Bake for 25 minutes; sprinkle with more cheese and continue to bake for 7 to 10 more minutes, or until bubbly, browned, and zucchini is tender. I love this as a side dish any time of the year, but if you are looking for some lower-carb options for the holidays too, this zucchini bake is perfect and so simple to prepare! Your email address will not be published. We made sure to include plenty of cheese, for a little extra “oomph,” but given how much we stuffed in here, it’s really just the icing on top of the cake. Serve. (I used a. Sauté onions and zucchini until onion is translucent and zucchini is just caramelized. Why the name Eat. My husband liked this. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. It was a bit runny but nothing to complain about. 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick. This recipe has been added to a new category called Weekend Food Prep  to help you find recipes you can prep or cook on the weekend and eat during the week! If you’re a food blogger with a mega-popular recipe like this Low-Carb Easy I don't know about this dish... it needs seasoning and a few tweaks. I served it over broad egg noodles..next time I will add a bit more spices because it s still missing a bit but over all very good and healthy. It's healthy, delicious, even low-carb. In a pan, melt butter. You can use more cheese or use other white cheese if you prefer but that will increase the amount of carbs in this recipe. MORE+ Combine the sliced squash, chopped or sliced basil, sliced green onions, dried thyme, garlic powder, 1/2 grated mozzarella and 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan and stir together until the veggies are coated with cheese and the herbs are well-distributed. When we were prepping the zucchini to reshoot photos I was telling Jake about how originally Pam changed the recipe a little from the one she found in Penzeys Back to School Catalog (in 2011!)