Serve over ice cream or add a bit of whipped cream on top for the full experience. Then, cut again into about 1/2″ long pieces. xo. Loved this recipe!! I’m sorry your cobbler seemed to have too much water. It took an extra 5 minutes plus the 7 minutes after adding the dumplings and it turned out perfect! Heat blackberries over medium, stirring frequently until boiling. Here’s my Grandmother’s Blackberry Cobbler recipe. I’m so happy to bring back memories of great food, especially from a mother or grandmother! Alabama has some tasty fresh blackberries. I remember my Grandmother Verdie every time I make this recipe. No need to slave over a perfectly-made homemade crust for the topping. My first cobbler turned into blackberry soup, but was delicious served over biscuits. I tried cooking it longer to see if that would help. Followed this recipe exactly as it says - couldn't be more disappointed! I had wanted something like my grandma made and this was AT LEAST as good, if not better, then anything in my memory! Huge hit here, it was great with either whipped cream or ice cream. I also used frozen berries. It turned out fabulous using store bought blackberries. In a large saucepan, combine the blackberries, sugar and cinnamon. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/favorite-blackberry-cobbler Take one half of your dough and cut into 1/2″ wide strips. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Joy, Berries will be soft when pressed against the side of the pan with a spoon. You can make the cobbler in a skillet or a cobbler pan (like the old one passed down from my Grandmother that I show in the photos too). Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Pour dough onto parchment paper, divide and quickly work into two flat discs. —Lori Daniels, Beverly, West Virginia, Favorite Blackberry Cobbler Recipe photo by Taste of Home. I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed it, Tee! I’ve not made it with that, Meg. This is the closest recipe to my mother’s, grandmothers and great grandmothers, with one exception. I used the last of my frozen Mulberries. I’d love to try it. xo, This is so close to my mom’s recipe. Hey Ann! The fruit stayed on top. Finally, we were there. Your email address will not be published. You can use this recipe with any flavor pie filling or sometimes I just use sliced canned peaches. This is an excellent comfort dessert!! Serve warm. I’m so happy you like it this way, too. Would this work with pillsberry dough? Your email address will not be published. 26 Sep 2015. Thanks so much, Mary. Horrible. I may use a little less water and sugar next time, but the flavor was amazing! My husband absolutely loved it! I to spent hours in the hot wood picking blackberries. Did I mention that I love it?? Once that crust was golden brown she removed it from the oven and pushed it down into the juice of the pie. (I’m sure she had the recipe before I was born in 1960.). Thanks! This is exactly the way she always made it. Cut 1/2" strips in both portions of the dough. Only thing I did different, I used  refrigerator Pie Crust to make my dumplins and my Lattice. Sounds like the lady that didn't like it used plain flour instead of self rising flour. I even went back and doubled the amount of blackberries but still too much liquid. What a special message, Margo! Not sure what a heavy bottom pan that goes from stove top to oven. And a bit of water. Nutritional information is automatically calculated with ingredients and serving size and may not be accurate. Bake for about 20 minutes until the dough has lightly browned. The butter stayed separated. Start by making the dough for your cobbler crust. Continue to cook, and stir gently until all your dough pieces have cooked in your blackberries. They will start to change from their dark color to a pink. Including a lattice top and pastry dumplings, this blackberry cobbler is a favorite. This looks delicious, and I want to make it; however, I have a question. Make this cobbler the next time you find yourself with a glut of blackberries, though you could try it with blueberries, raspberries or cherries. Some of my favorites are my keto friendly side dishes, delicious green beans, seafood salads, and so much bacon. And yes we all got red bugs. Home » By Course » Dessert Recipes » Southern Blackberry Cobbler Recipe, Published on: June 7, 2018 / Updated on May 13, 2020. Privacy policy, I had about 650g of blackberries and followed the recipe for the batter as above, it came out perfect, being the cook I had first dig in, (just to try this you understand), lucky I did, the kids demolished the rest in the blink of an eye, nice dollop of cream with it, soooo good. They all turned out wonderful. It came out perfectly, with great texture and taste, but I will say, I had to bake mine up to almost 15 minutes longer at the temperature suggested to get it to turn "golden brown". We grow blackberries on our farm that our family enjoys in pies, jams, jellies and cobblers. With the sun beating down on us, sweating under those gloves that were beginning to feel like they weighed twice as much as they did, and with scratches along our arms where the long blackberry thorns had worked their way through our shirt sleeves, I was ready to be done with picking blackberries. We knew there would be a cobbler for dessert after supper and most likely, if we picked enough, we’d get to help her make blackberry jam. From the Add a Pinch recipe archives. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. I am under orders to keep a production line of this cobbler coming lol, really easy and so good. This recipe looks delicious, but I’m hesitant about the pans- I don’t have pans like these— can I cook filling in saucepan and pour/bake in a glass pie pan, or no? Bake until topping is golden brown and fruit is tender, 45-50 minutes.