Most of the SPL meters under $100 MSRP are more limited on the bandwidth like from 125Hz-8kHz, and accuracy is +/-2dB, increments 0.5dB. JavaScript is disabled. Forums. If you want something more detailed, grab a microphone (, The Aperion meter should be the same as the RS meter...and it's only $29. It’s time to calibrate! For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. You must log in or register to reply here. That should get you in the ball park. Forum Help and Feedback Testing Home Theater Forum Meets Archives. The SPL meter measures the level of sound coming out of your speakers and it will help you fine-tune your system for the best possible sound. How to Set up Loudspeakers in a Room? If not, please check out our Aperion University course on Multi-channel Speaker Placement or make sure they’re in their final positions. I want to buy an SPL meter to test some different subs... Where can I get a decent one for this purpose? A good testing system is going to run around $100. The last SPL meter I had good to 20 Hz (actually 10 Hz) was around $1200 and that was years ago. Sony SS-CS3 Tower Height – Raise 9" or Leave it Alone? The meter’s size is so modest that you can keep it in your coat pocket at all times and take it to church, a ball game or a live rock concert. According to most C-weighting graphs, the standard shows a 5 dB reduction at 25 Hz. All the under $150, if not $300, models are C-weighted at best and that rolls off at 30 Hz. This SPL decibel meter can be used in all kinds of situations, whether you’re at home, at work, in a venue, or even recording in a studio, meaning it’s ideal for all kinds of application and use. Let us check out the best of the SPL Meters that you can check out for your home theater. They offer advanced audio and video calibration and walk you through a step-by-step process of optimizing your entire system. Home Theater Forum. This SPL meter boasts compact and lightweight design with rugged rubberized sides for a firm and comfortable grip. Recently I went to willlands home and we were testing out his subs with his meter and during the demos, he had the volume set to around 80dB. To manually calibrate speaker levels, first you’ll need an SPL meter set to C-weighting, slow. If you would like to optimize your system more fully, you can use one of the popular calibration discs like AVIA or Digital Video Essentials. Aperion Audio Bravus Subwoofers Reviews! Verify that the speaker wiring is correctly attached, that positive is connected to positive and that negative is connected to negative. The meter’s size is so modest that you can keep it in your coat pocket at all times and take it to church, a ball game or a live rock concert. Now grab your Sound Pressure Level (SPL) meter and take a seat in your favorite chair. Calibrating your home theater system is critical to an awesome home entertainment center, and only takes about 10 minutes to accomplish. But once you identify what needs to be done you need a method to do it, which means sophisticated EQ and room treatments, and before you know it you've spent more on fixing the system than the system cost in the first place. As others have mentioned, any affordable SLM is going to be C-weighted, which starts rolling out the bass at a known rate starting at about 40 Hz. If they’re wired incorrectly, the sound will be diffuse and hard to locate. Aperion Audio Super Tweeter Speaker Reviews! This SPL meter boasts compact and lightweight design with rugged rubberized sides for a firm and comfortable grip. For 20 Hz, add 7 dB. That the “Speaker Size” is correctly selected in the menu. the Radio Shack for about $40 US is what most of us use. https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html, https://www.parts-express.com/galaxy-audio-check-mate-cm-130-spl-meter--245-262, DIY HT Automation Build Thread (50% complete), Primary Subwoofers Build Thread (completed), http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/imm-6-idevice-calibrated-measurement-microphone.html, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. Use the level control on the receiver to adjust your subwoofer volume to the uniform SPL of your system. You can use it to level channels for HT use and you can also use it to measure max SPL. Wiki researchers have been writing reviews of the latest sound level meters since 2016. Stay Fresh! The one I bought … Join the thousands of audio lovers who get speaker & home theater tips plus first dibs on all our amazing deals and new product releases. If the room is rectangular the modes are readily calculated (there are online calculators). 98% of all sub content sounds like exact same sine wave on a sub synthesizer. Please note your SPL meter is accurate from 32Hz – 10 kHz using C weighting. Here we have compiled a list of the top spl meter for home theater. DFL series advertising projector light, special projector light for Christmas. The SPL meter measures the level of sound coming out of your speakers and it will help you fine-tune your system for the best possible sound. The Sinometer on Amazon retail @ $200, price @ $88. If your receiver has a selectable crossover setting for your subwoofer, verify that is its set to manufacturer’s recommendation. Amazon.co.uk: SPL Meter The advantage of the old Radio Shack SPL Meters is that it had a frequency response of about 30hz to 10khz. The monitoring range of this device is the industry standard of 30dB to 130dB, and the device comes with integrated data holding functions, so you can record multiple locations in one go. To … Will that work? I don't if it's true for all SPL meters, but I believe that my Radio Shack analog SPL meter requires that a correction factor be applied as a function of frequency in order to get the correct measurements (there is more correction applied at lower frequencies, due to the capability of the built-in mic, I believe). Standing waves from room modes/boundary reflections cause those peaks and valleys. If not, consult your receiver’s owner’s manual to find the level calibration feature. Stay Fresh! ...In fact the cheap USB mic with REW is very comparable to the $5k~$10k of gear and SW I was using for measurements not all that long ago... That's what I tried to do initially, just set the levels and be done. In your situation run the subs at a level that sounds good and be done with it. All the under $150, if not $300, models are C-weighted at best and that rolls off at 30 Hz. Things you wanna buy, but are waiting and saving for Thread! Aperion Audio Novus Speakers Reviews! Dayton Mic is really precise and ok even for pro work: Could someone point me in the direction of a decent one at radio shack? 
Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
. Depending on your circumstances there is a wide range of adjustments may be needed. C-Weighting is the best choice for setting up Home Theater speakers. 2 pb2000 or 1 fv15hp or 1 vtf 15h mk2 or 1 Monolith 15. So be sure everything is wired up properly before you start calibrating. If your receiver produces a 20 Hz test tone, you will need to add approximately 7 dB to the actual meter reading to correct for the SPL meter’s lower sensitivity at the lower frequencies. You'll be making measurements around 75dB, so pick a Range which has 75dB in the middle. Aperion Audio Verus Speakers Reviews! Place the meter with the microphone facing up towards the ceiling at ear height in your primary listening position. Let us help you make your decision with this sound level meter that we have personally reviewed for you. If your subwoofer is powered, it is recommended that you leave the subwoofer level set to the manufacturer’s recommended setting. OSHA uses some very high end software/hardware that records a virtual spectral, strip chart over time of the SPL in any given area. Just spent over a thousand for new large speakers all around. Bob - you are lucky that Radio Shack still has stores in Edmonton. I highly doubt you would have any meaningful output at 25hz with a $200 sub anyway. JavaScript is disabled. Home Automation, Accessories, Cables, and Remotes, Thomas T's favorite/best movies by years 1928-2019. Home Theater. Putting the MLP at the 1/3 or 2/3 position of the longest room dimension is a reasonable starting point. No cheap SPL meter goes to 20 Hz AFAIK. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today! The digital meter will cost you a lot more without giving you any more functionality for your application, which is calibrating your sound system with.