Love this article on banana being a herb or not… you are on ur way, Your email address will not be published. Banana plants are only herbs. I learn a lot. Now I know banana can be a fruit and a herb. So, now that we’re sure a banana is a fruit, is it a herb? Bananas are only fruit. edible seeds or roots or stems or leaves or bulbs or tubers or nonsweet fruits of any of numerous herbaceous plant, A plant or part of a plant used as food, typically as accompaniment to meat or fish, such as a cabbage, potato, carrot, or bean, any of various herbaceous plants cultivated for an edible part such as the fruit or the root of the beet or the leaf of spinach or the seeds of bean plants or the flower buds of broccoli or cauliflower. Apples are fruits, not trees. The fruit is usually curved and elongated and varies in color, size and firmness. Pears, lemons, grapes, bananas, etc. Despite its name, the strawberry isn't a true berry. Banana, hahaha it’s a fruit, for good health.. I’m on one side with my smart phone and earphones plugged to my ear. I was asked this recently and as if that wasn’t enough, sometime last week as I was going through my emails, I came across a question from Quora – ”Why are Banana trees classified as Herbs?” And for a second, I thought of why anyone would ask such questions that they might have probably been told the answer right from elementary school. From my point of view I think banana is a fruit. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The banana is a fruit. Banana “trees” are therefore not trees. I seldom eat bananas and that’s a bit funny because I’m someone who travels to the south southern part of Nigeria from the south-western part of Nigeria and more often than not I always see these women that hawk the bananas and groundnuts on the road side. The banana plant is called a ‘banana tree’ in popular use, but it’s technically regarded as a herbaceous plant (or ‘herb’), not a tree, because the stem does not contain true woody tissue. Festival of Sacrifice: The Past and Present of the Islamic Holiday of Eid al-Adha. Your email address will not be published. Will 5G Impact Our Cell Phone Plans (or Our Health?! A banana is an edible fruit produced by various flowering plants belonging to the genus Musa. The banana plant is the largest type of herbaceous flowering plant and it grows in a variety of different soils as long as they have good drainage. The pseudo-stem begins as a small shoot from an underground rhizome called a corm. They are not both. Required fields are marked *. Bananas come in a variety of sizes and colors when ripe, including yellow, purple, and red. I'm Okolie Anthony Owner of the Herbal Gang Blog, a blog dedicated to people in search of the healing power of herbs. I'm a Professional Blogger, Digital Marketer with a passion for online entrepreneurship. ), The Secret Science of Solving Crossword Puzzles, Racist Phrases to Remove From Your Mental Lexicon. In warm climates (USDA zones 10 and higher), banana plants are non-seasonal and fruit year-round. It also positions low … The most cultivated types of bananas in the world are Musa balbisiana and Musa acuminata. If yes, then help share with your friends over social media. Banana is the common name for herbaceous plants of the genus Musa and for the fruit they produce. Banana plants are only herbs. Althоugh people hаvе argued thаt bananas аrе vegetables bесаuѕе thеу lack seeds, thаt isn’t асtuаllу true. The banana splits and peels when the fruit is ripe. The fruitful things that grow on these plants to help propagate each respective species of plant are always fruit. I’ve eaten bananas and I’m pretty sure you’ve eaten a whole lot of them too but have you ever found any seeds? Fact Check: What Power Does the President Really Have Over State Governors? The banana plant is called a ‘banana tree’ in popular use, but it’s technically regarded as a herbaceous plant (or ‘herb’), not a tree, because the stem does not contain true woody tissue. My answer to whether or not a banana is a fruit or a herb is… BOTH. Bananas thаt аrе commercially grown аnd distributed аrоund thе world аrе sterile, ѕо thеir seeds аrе significantly reduced in size. But in the Venn diagram relating these two produce categories, there's a sizable region of overlap. Answer: are all fruit and neither trees, bushes, vines, nor herbs. Non-cultivated bananas are all like this, and while ornamental varieties like Musa are still edible, they’re often more work than they’re worth. Fruit and vegetable stands are often arranged in quite elaborate fashion in Madagascan traditional markets. It grows upward as a single stalk with a tight spiral of leaf sheaths wrapped around it. Did you love this post? Pears, blueberries, grapes, bananas, etc. This usually means the leaf, stem, or root of a plant. 6 Healthy Foods That Helps You Deal With Constipation, 5 Reasons Instant Noodles Might Be Unhealthy For You, How To Gain Weight Fast Using Apetamin Syrup, Bad Practices You Thought Were Good For you, How to Make Your Next Açaí Bowl a Healthy One, How to Treat Urinary Tract Infection naturally using Herbs in Nigeria, 5 Best Organic Beard Growth Oils Available in Nigeria, How Fenugreek Boosts Breast Growth and Its Health Benefits. The Banana tree is a short-life perennial plant. Neither is the raspberry or the blackberry. Bananas are not herbs. Bananas come in a variety of sizes and colors when ripe, including yellow, purple, and red. Basically, do not consume any food that is hard to digest. Is Banana a Fruit or a Herb? When grown in warm climates, banana plants are non-seasonal and fruit year-round. A banana (the yellow thing you peel and eat) is undoubtedly a fruit (containing the seeds of the plant:), though since commercially grown banana plants are sterile, the seeds are reduced to little specks, but if you look closely, I bet you should be able to see them. It can’t just be called a herb! So my pick is that banana is a fruit, you’ve got an amazing blog right here! Bananas are no more the same thing as the plant the grow on than grapes are the same thing as the plant they grow on. Apple trees are trees, not fruit. In popular culture and commerce, “banana” usually refers to soft, sweet “dessert” bananas. I did some research and discovered that wild bananas have obvious, black seeds. To be honest with you all, I’m not a banana person. Do you have any suggestions to make? Uhmmm, i think its both, it can pass as herb and as a fruit. Rather, it forms a succulent stalk, or pseudo-stem. Ultimately, I hope with these few points of mine I have been able to do justice to both questions? This implies that bananas are fruits. Feel free to make use of the comment box below. OK! You may also like: 6 Healthy Foods That Helps You Deal With Constipation. Bananas also develop from the ovaries of flowers, but where are their seeds? It is considered a herb in botanical terms because it never forms a woody stem the way a tree does. The fruit is usually curved and elongated and varies in color, size and firmness. Apples are fruits, not trees. Daily intake of 1-2 bananas makes you feel full and simultaneously reduces the appetite. It's nonexistent. Passengers in the bus are telling the driver to slow down so they could buy some bananas and groundnuts for themselves, family members and of course friends.