I do like a D112 but it requires a big scoop in the lower mids. I can get a good deal on either one right now. It makes a kick sound like a basketball to me. My personal go-to kick mic is the Shure Beta 91. Just a friendly reminder that political discussion, (including "offhand" and 'sideways' commenting) is. Worked for him. Audix D6 Drum Microphone . I love these kind of tests, even though I always fail. HAHA! Heil PR48 (or PR40 for a more natural sound). Of the three you mentioned, for Metal----D112 for click. AKG D112 Vs Shure Beta 52A Conclusion If in personally, we prefer and recommend you to choose the Beta 52A over the AKG D112 just because the IMHO the 52 gives you more to work with and just that straight up rock and roll thump. Both mics are heavily sculpted and consequently deliver quite specific kick sounds, where mics like an EV RE 20 are much flatter and less specific in the shaping. Hey there! At the moment I'm stuck between an AKG D112 and an Audix D6, simply because I've used them before and know what they sound like. best click!!! If I were to use one over the other for something I would use the Audix for metal for sure! Awesome microphone. For a heavy metal or a hardcore than the AKG D112 is better suited for that type of music. They're good at different things. Pictures Of Mic'ed Up Drum Kits In The Studio, AKG d112 or Shure beta 52a for live kick drum, Already have an account? I did the research and it all suggested the D112, which I'm amazingly happy with for my kick drum, but on anything else it's not ideal. The D112 is probably more versatile. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. Put it on a pillow in front of the kick and you get a great, round, natural kick sound. Here's a blind test comparing the M82 to the new AKG D12VR, E-V RE320, and the beyerdynamic M99: M82, M99, D12VR, RE320 on kick drum. I think the D6 might be better for the 20" kick and maybe even the 602. The new mic will be used for kick or floor depending on which one I like better. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1949675/E902%20Sample.wav. Two totally different mics. Ian Paice (Deep Purple) used AKG D112's inside his toms and kick for many many many live shows. check out the. I find my mic choices change like my women. BP sold! The D6 low-frequency boost is lower, around 60Hz. Try the Ev n/d868 best if both worlds IMO. Gear Maniac . Hey there! Two of the three standout mics are models you probably haven't heard much about; one of them costs only about $125. The Sennheiser 602 and 902 are both definitely scopped as … If you can swing getting both, I like d6 on the hole, d112 wrapped around back facing the beater. I have used all those kick mics at some point but am trying to remember each one. 20th April 2013 #31. It's beautiful on bass cabs, vocals and floor tom, and nice on guitar cabs if you want guitar fattened up. Shure Beta52 vs. Audix D6 vs. AKG D112 When you buy products through links across our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. It captures more of the beating and action. The D112 boosts higher frequencies, around 100Hz. Individual waves for the same kick sample (on different mics) and an MP3 of each mic with a sample of rhythm. If you've never seen an elephant ski then you've never been on acid. Which kind of defeats the purpose. I have the 602II. You can't beat D6 + Yamaha subkick for rock/metal stuff! I don't like audix. overlay graph comparing D6 to D112 frequency response. I'd say go with the d6 if anything so you don't sound like everyone else out there with a d112. Wooden beater. / Subscribe ! I prefer the sound of the D6 but I believe the D112 is more versatile. :-). The D112 has a pronounced "clock" sound to the midrange (between 1 & 2 kHz) where the D6 has more of a "tick" to the attack centered much higher, probably 8 to 10 kHz). Oh well. Here's a sample of a kick recorded with a E902. Very versatile mic. Thanks for all the info and the sound sample. I find the D6 isolates from the other drums or instruments better, it has what I consider a dull simple thud to it that lacks a little balls to me, and the D112 has a wider more versatile sound. Mostly with live gigs, though, where it makes the kick, well, really kick! The D112 has a pronounced "clock" sound to the midrange (between 1 & 2 kHz) where the D6 has more of a "tick" to the attack centered much higher, probably 8 to 10 kHz). Audix D6 comes with a frequency response range of 30 Hz – 15 kHz. I was wondering what your opinions on which to buy are? They do sound great, except they have a tendency to overload on kick drums. I bought one, but it doesn't take high enough SPL. When you buy products through links across our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Mike Green. You can see also Audix D6 Vs Shure Beta 52A Comparison. Audix D6 sounds more "pre-procesed" the boom is rounder sounding and the click sounds higher more like it starts at 3.5 but not harsh sounding. A lot depends on what kind of sound you're going for, but I can't stand the D112. Some people get fantastic sounds with gear that others would never use, while some get awful sounds with world class gear. https://www.facebook.com/sbs.nimes Abonnez-vous ! Its the better mic to start with in my opinion. And sounds fat on a snare. But I don't believe anyone should limit themselves to those familiar choices. Then, there are a lot of other choices. Sort of a midway point between the D112 and a D6. AKG D112 vs Audix D6; If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. When you buy products through links across our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. The new AKG D12VR is a huge improvement though. On the other hand, AKG D112 has deeper and fuller bass, capturing the bounce and resonance well. It does have that scooped tonality but workable, i would use it on more of a mellow material, but it does take EQ very well, also, Audix f6 sounds just about the same and is less expensive, i think the whole kit is about $500US. I own both and agree with most of these comments..totally different mics. Just a friendly reminder that political discussion, (including "offhand" and 'sideways' commenting) is. I've been really digging it inside the kick shell to capture the attack of the kick pedal. Put it inside the kick and it's got great punch and isolation. first the D6 was really meant to go INSIDE the drum and it is very placement sensitive, meaning the tone can change quite a bit. I tested the D112 and D6 on a Tama Rockstar kick drum with an Iron Cobra strap driven double pedal, and the Micro-D & SM-57 on a Pearl metal snare with a Remo … Let the battle begin. Other good kick mics - Heil PR40, Shure SM7, Tele M82, EV RE20. Go through their blind test and write down the numbers of the mics you like: http://recordinghacks.com/2012/06/08/kick-drum-mic-shootout/. Products, practices, and stories about the profession or hobby of recording, editing, and producing audio. It is much better. Senn, in that scenario. I want to know pros and con's of both and hear good and bad experiences with each. The D6 is massively scooped as compared to the D112, with significantly more high-frequency response.