i.e. report. At $700 no AKG 414 is a good deal not even a new in the box XLII. The EB's are pretty bright to my ears, but in a good usable way. Thankfully, he's been able to take care of some major issues that were plaguing it. Older is better. One of each is not a bad idea for variety, but a matched stereo pair of one or the other would seem to be a more sensible choice. The XLII has a version of the classic 414 rise from 5k up - which is what we were accustomed to hearing from a 414. share. I had the XLII and it was so bad I practically gave it away. My EB sounds really open and natural, especially in omni. AKG C414-EB vs C414 XLS or XLII I have been thinking of picking up one of the new AKG C414's after being impressed with it during a friends session. Besides the two models’ minor cosmetic differences, the main component that sets them apart is the capsule design. Would do well as your primary all-rounder. I don't know the market for them today, so I don't know if $700 is a good price, but I would pay it in a second if I had to replace this one. Like I said before the newer gold ones have a raise that is designed for vocals. The EB Capsule? instrument, the new C414 XLS combines proven reference quality, leading-edge technology and state-of-the-art components. I did a search here on gearslutz and someone had picked up a pair for quite a bit less than this. A friend of mine has one and it sounds great. The C414 XLII is the successor of the famous C414 B-TL II. While AKG has retired most of the C414 lines in its cabinet, it currently sells two versions: the XLS and XLII. Bascially the 4047 has more weight in the lower mids. If you prefer a slightly warmer sound, the XLS will do the trick. channel strip and it sounded amazing. I was very disappointed. It shows the unique sonic signature of the highly sought-after AKG C12, which enables lead vocals and solo instruments to be placed even in a dense mix. I just recently recapped a 414EB and changed out the capsule to Tim Campbell's CT12. Is the guy offering to sell me this mic completely out of reality with his pricing? I found a Pearlman TM-1 for $1100 and it was the difference between pro gear and prosumer versus the XLII. The mics are pretty similar in their overall frequency response and feature identical controls and features. The C414 XLS (left) is more transparent sounding than the C414 XLII, but the latter has a presence boost similar to the legendary C12, which makes it quite flattering on many sources. Designed for accurate reproduction and transparency, the AKG C414 XLS features the same capsule as the popular C414 B-ULS. When I visited Dale Pro Audio in NYC they had the gold 414 and I tried my vocals through it with a Pend. heh. Try the mic in question and see if you like it!! I have an EB and I wouldn't sell it. I'm looking to purchase a pair of C414's - factory matched if available. Another vote for the older EB. save. If you need a brighter sound, the XL II is your best bet. Beide Modelle bieten umfassende Möglichkeiten, um sich an unterschiedlichste Aufnahmesituationen anzupassen. I have been thinking of picking up one of the new AKG C414's after being impressed with it during a friends session. Cap,FET, Traffo. A slight additional lift above 3kHz gives this model a slightly more airy and open top end that is useful when miking vocals to capture a contemporary 'crisp' sound, or when miking instruments … So i have been using the akg c414 xls for quite some time for vocal recordings. The appearance of the C414 begins with its compact, somewhat box-shaped design. The appearance of the C414 begins with its compact, somewhat box-shaped design. Hey there! The only reason AKG still makes 414s and they are so well known is they are STILL living off the reputation built by the CK12 brass capsule from 30+ years ago. The EB I tested was a 414EB, silver. How it compares to the 414 XLII? Or the C12? It's a little darker than the ULS, and just sounds a little warmer overall. If it is red-ish in color, it's the newer capsule. I would think if they previously had a transformer, it would be similar to a comparison of a AT 4033 (transformerless) and 4047 (transformer built in). There was an added depth and detail that is missing in the nylon capsule. There alone is your choice. 15 comments. Hey all. All the 414's I have heard were transformerless. I had the XLII and it was so bad I practically gave it away. If its a goood mic I would love to save the money off buying a new one, but at the same time I dont want ot end up with an old mic within a couple of years of the end of its life just to save a couple hundred bucks. I had an opportunity to test this old myth on several occasions. I found a Pearlman TM-1 for $1100 and it was the difference between pro gear and prosumer versus the XLII. The AKG C414 XLII and XLS keep the classic shape that its predecessors have become famous for. hide. I did a search here on gearslutz and someone had picked up a pair for quite a bit less than this. Come up with $300 more and get yourself a good used tube mic. Although the design is basic, the beautiful gold grille found on the C414 XLII, makes … Don't the EB's use a real C12 capsule? If you prefer a It's not the color, a 414 EB with the C12 brass capsule , the ring is ''brass '' and the 414 EB with the teflon capsule is , guess what........... teflon ring...... yotonic I had the XLII and it was so bad I practically gave it away.