The saddle on these instrument may have been lowered again and again as the guitar reaches the point where a neck reset is needed. There are other things that can play into output and string-to-string volume balance issues. More common is an older guitar that's been settling and shifting under string-tension for years. The only upgrades I have done to the guitar were a Greven pickguard and a Koa end pin. If it plays fine, just enjoy it.....but the saddle is pretty low. anytime a saddle is below 8/64ths sticking out above the bridge at the low E where it contours to the wings of the bridge(unless it is a prewar martin with original saddle, which should stick 6/64ths above the bridge on the bass side at the low E where it contours to the wings of the bridge, if it has not ever been sanded down) then the guitar will need a … That saddle is lower than I would buy, without considering the cost of a neck reset as part of the deal, unless the action was so low (I'm talking ridiculously low) that I could put in a new higher saddle and bring the action up to a reasonable level. Most of the time, this means taking a little off the bottom to lower the action and improve playability. The process to lower the saddle on an acoustic guitar isn’t actually too difficult. Just raising the saddle will also raise the action. That's a discussion for another day, though. As the saddle gets lower, the angle that the strings 'break' over it reduces. It's what I'd like too most of the time, BUT if the top is a little on the soft side- as responsive guitars tend to be- then that saddle might be too tall. it's worth mentioning that a low output from some strings with a UST/piezo pickup may not be related to this saddle break-angle thing. 1st string height , if you are below 13/32 you are in the reset range . The saddle controls the action and we adjust the saddle to control the action, not to have some inherent height or break angle. Disclaimer Section: IMHO, YMMV, IMHE, Don't Try This At Home, Take With Grain Of Salt, etc, etc. IMHO if any guitar i own has a saddle height below 8/64ths sticking out at the low E where the saddle contours the bridges wings ( i prefer through cut saddles) then the guitar needs a neck reset. Too small an angle and the transfer of a string's energy into the soundboard suffers. OK, but it is less of an angle than I like. The break angle over the saddle looks OK to me. A low saddle means less break-angle as the strings travel over it. but if a higher saddle is all that is needed i go that route. If you have a 3/8 bridge and you have a 4/32 saddle you are still in spec but at low end of the spec. Check your inbox for an email for me—you'll need to confirm your subscription there. That's not something you really want to do on a nice guitar and it will devalue an instrument. An Unofficial forum for those who love Martin instruments - Founded by Steve Stallings. There's a danger in going too far though. The worst thing that can happen is that you’ll need to get a new saddle … Well, perhaps not much more tan 10 on the wound strings, but I wouldn´t worry about that. Guess I'll be calling Bob (Colosi) sometime next week. Occasionally, a guitar's neck angle won't allow a comfortable playing action without making the saddle really low. This website uses cookies for functionality, analytics and advertising purposes as described in our, Enis - A bunch of guitars and my 1984 Ovation Ultra (, http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xif8g_ ... lder_music. if your guitar is worth more than a hundred bucks or so). I currently have Elixir PB 12-52s on the guitar also. A hand-drawn, illustrated guide to setting up your own Strat. It's always a trade-off, too. I should spend my time more wisely, I know. As the saddle gets lower, the angle that the strings 'break' over it reduces. If the action is OK (=to the owners liking) and the relief is within reason I wouldn´t say this guitar needs a neck reset. I do like the Lightfoot song, though - have for decades. Oh, I'm just messing with you Dave, and I couldn't think of a song with "20 degrees" in it. It can be possible to improve things by 'ramping' the string slots from the end-pin holes to increase that string break-angle. If you don’t have access to a bench vise, a nice flat counter top and some coarse (80 grit) sandpaper will also work. It might take a few minutes to come through so, don't worry if it's not there immediately. It’s easiest to take material off the bottom of the saddle… Tagged: repair, bridge, saddle, acoustic, piezo, ust, undersaddle transducer, pickup, action. It might be ok to get you out of a hole on something you don't mind getting beat-up, but it's not the ideal way forward in most circumstances (i.e. The action is perfect. IMO, many of the newer guitar designs being built incorporate saddles that are much too high, and that leads to a whole 'nuther set of problems. I don't do spam and you can unsubscribe at any time. Acoustic Saddle Height and Action Of course the issue is action. I love low action, but I had a feeling that saddle was just too low. The saddle on these instrument may have been lowered again and again as the guitar reaches the point where a neck reset is needed. You can read more in my, Haze Guitars, 54 Rossberry Avenue, Lucan, Ireland. IMHO this guitar needs a neck reset. If you raise the saddle, the action's going up. Either way, you don't want your saddle too low. The following figure shows the location of the hex screws. If you are concerned here is what you need to check . However, in order to comply with privacy regulations, I also need you to provide consent to store and process the information you've entered. You raise or lower the saddle by turning the hex screws with a tine hex wrench. Download Truss Rods Made Easy for free. Everything on this guitar is stock from what I was told, except a bone saddle was added. The break angle over the saddle looks OK to me. Either way, you don't want your saddle too low. Too small an angle and the transfer of a string's energy into the soundboard suffers. Is it going to be a problem long term for the life of the guitar? So long as you are patient and take care, then this is something that you should be able to do yourself. 2nd As for the saddle height if you have a heavy bridge on there ( .410 ) is as heavy as martin uses now , you may just have a larger bridge and here you can get a lower one.. Turn the screw clockwise to raise the saddle; turn it counter-clockwise to lower the saddle. To lower your saddle, all you need is a pencil and straightedge to mark your saddle and a file and bench vise to remove material. Put a capo over the nut of the guitar and de-string it.